Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vrumi to the Rescue!

I have always had this tendency to trust doctors too much. I usually believe what they tell me and usually assume they are competent, unless proven otherwise. I had my doubts about Dr. Aitemen. The only thing he had going for him at this point was Dr. Katzenelenbogen's recommendation. He had pretty much been a no-show during my 2nd stay at Beth Israel. Because he was ostensibly in charge of my care there (or lack thereof), it would therefore follow that he should be held responsible were I to develop some sort of exotic complication. Like death. But like the trusting (read: stupid) soul that I am, it never seriously occurred to me to transfer the hell out of there. That's where my brother came in.
Vrumi loves this kind of stuff. Not that he liked the fact that I was so sick, G-d forbid. He loves getting involved with searching for and/or checking out doctors. He won't go to someone for a hangnail without checking him out first. There's this organization, Refuah Resources, run by a Rabbi Shuki Berman. He has lists of the best doctors in New York and beyond, for just about any ailment imaginable. I'm pretty sure my brother has him on speed dial. Unbeknownst to me, Vrumi called Shuki and came to see me in the hospital. Knowing what a stubborn (read: real stupid) dope I can be, he broached the subject somewhat cautiously. What did I think, he asked, about transferring out of Beth Israel. He told me he had checked around and was told that the worst pulmonologist in Columbia Presbyterian was better than the best one where I was. I was feeling so lousy, I almost said okay. I called Dr. Katzenelenbogen and asked him what he thought. When he said "not a bad idea," it sealed the deal. We called for an ambulance and headed uptown.

No comments:

Post a Comment