Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Beth Israel Tries to Kill Me (so there'd be no witnesses)

I was only in Beth Israel for two days, but every minute I spent there I got progressively worse. My breathing was labored at best and the food was pretty toxic, too. One day I was feeling particularly feverish. Of course nurses or aides or whatever they are come around to take your vitals, but that's usually at 2:00 in the morning. I rang my call bell. And by the way, why do I always hesitate before I use my call bell? Isn't it the nurse's job to be available to the patient? Anybody? Anyway, she came and took my temperature. 105.3. Believe it or not. 105.3. I could hardly believe it. Aren't you supposed to be dead at 105.3? She gasped a little gasp, said "oh, my!" and ran out of the room. Soon a whole flock of nurses had descended on me. They put me on one of those thermal blankets to cool me down. Then they discussed what side of the blanket is supposed to be face up. I don't think they ever figured it out. Meanwhile, my sats (see previous post for an explanation of "sats") were tanking. Chayie says they were somewhere in the 50's, but I don't think you can survive that. Suffice it to say, they were pretty alarming. I had seen Dr. Aitemen exactly once since I was admitted. I was beginning to think that maybe coming to this Mickey Mouse hospital was a huge mistake. Maybe even a fatal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment