Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Amazing Kids

Yeah, I know...they don't look like that anymore. But it's my favorite picture of them. Left to right it's Kalman (Michael), Feige (Robyn) and Blimie (Bonnie). They were young and innocent and figured their dad would be around forever. Sadly, that innocence has dissipated somewhat over the years. Mine, too, although I think I've been pretty successful at clinging to my inner child. Maybe too successful. Sometimes my inner child becomes my outer child. Like when I buy more birds when the first one is turning my lungs to guacamole. Anyway, getting back to my kids. Since I have no intention of changing my marital status between now and when I finally do meet my demise, I figured that at some point, maybe in 20 or even 30 years from now, my kids would have to take care of me. But not at age fifty-nine! If the way they responded to my near-death experience is any indication of what I can expect in my dotage, I have nothing to worry about. They were magnificent. When children go through a divorce, they're always affected. Frenchi (ex-wife #1, mother of the kids) and I did our best not to triagulate them in the process of divorce, but it's unrealistic to think there wasn't any fallout. I was secure in the knowledge that my kids love me. I also knew that they might be angry at me (okay, I knew they were angry at me). But they really proved their mettle when the chips were down. They tooks shifts when I was sedated so that one of them was there with me 24/7. If I'm not mistaken there was not one day while I was in the ICU that one of them didn't show up. When I woke up I was so weak I could barely budge. The kids were there for me no matter what I needed. They encouraged me, made me laugh and made sure I was getting the best care possible. I'm pretty sure they're not reading this, but I want them to know how very much I love them, but more importantly, how incredibly proud I am of them.

3 comments: