Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

There's a New Sheriff in Town



I was discharged on Friday. I had not yet been to see Dr. DePalo in his swank Park Avenue office. Park Avenue is very ironically named; the one thing you can't do there is park! I had not yet been given clearance to drive, so I had to be chauffeured wherever I went. Chayie drove me that day. She circled around a day or two and finally wound up putting the car in a lot. That's also ironically named; if you park there it's gonna cost you a lot! Get it? A lot! My gosh, I am soooooo clever today. I'm on a roll, which is good because yesterday I was on an onion bagel. We had to walk about a block and a half from Lexington to Park, all uphill. It was understandable that I was huffing and puffing, but Chayie wasn't doing too hot, either. She was having trouble with her knee and was krech'tzing* right along with me. When we got to his office, Dr. DePalo had his serious face on. I could tell he was going to tell me something I didn't want to hear. Then he spake: "Ron," he said, "There's a new sheriff in town.  From now on you can't eat or drink or use salt the way you used to. The Prednisone will make you retain fat and retain fluid and you'll keep winding up at Mt. Sinai. I'm gonna put you on a regimen and make sure you stick to it.  Also, I want you on oxygen 24/7 until further notice, kapish?" Sheesh, this guy was tough!  Only problem with the oxygen was that I didn't have any.  Because my sats were above 90 when I left Silver Lake, Big Brother Oxford, in their infinite wisdom, decided I didn't need any and therefore didn't provide any.  So Sheriff DePalo got on the horn and whipped them into shape.  Almost as soon as he hung up, there was a concentrator and a bunch of tanks of O2 sitting in Chayie's living room.  Gee, Dr. DePalo...tanks a lot! (couldn't resist.)

* I don't really know an accurate translation for "krech'tzing." It's different than "kvetching," which is really just complaining. Krech'tzing is sort of like moaning, but not quite; it's more intense. It has more...shmaltz.

7 comments:

  1. really the harley should be in auqualung, re:"it's like calling a harley a bike."

    ReplyDelete
  2. am i the only one following this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. The Harley (or whatever it is) is here because he rides one.
    2. Some guy that goes by "Mendy" is now officially a follower. Other than that, I think it's just me and you, kid, and I don't count cuz I write the darn thing. Mother Hen has dropped out because she no longer has internet in her nest...how positively Lakewood of her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i follow occasionally but not often enough to be considered a follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. the dr rides a harley? maybe you can get his parking spot cuz he prob doesnt need one....

    ReplyDelete