Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Finding Hemo


I am what I am!
If you recall, I had to be transfused before I was discharged from Columbia Presbyterian (August 27th post). So it was no surprise when Dr. K. told me I was anemic. This was, however,
the first time I was so very symptomatic; I could barely stand. Anemia robs the body of red blood cells (hereafter referred to as RBCs) which in turn produces a shortage of hemoglobin, the iron-containing substance therein. The body uses hemoglobin to transport oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. Hemolytic Anemia (where there is an abnormal breakdown of RBCs) can be caused by various antibiotics, several of which I had taken: Bactrim, Vancomycin and Dapsone. Among other things, it can also be caused by chronic illness, and apparently being sick as a dog for five months qualifies. Dr. Katzenelenbogen wanted me to see a hemotologist so we could pin down what was causing the problem so it could be treated accordingly. The one I chose was a nice young man who suggested that before we even know the etiology of my particular anemia, I should be transfused so that I could gain at least a little strength. When I suggested spinach instead I was informed that that only works in cartoons, shattering my childhood illusions. I guess it was for the best: I've always hated spinach. I was scheduled to receive at least two units of blood on a Friday. As it turned out, they were only able to complete one because the hospital was out on Long Island and I needed to get home for Shabbos. So I was rescheduled to come back on Monday to get the rest of my new blood. File this under the catagory of "ah mentch tracht unt G-tt lacht*".

* Freely translated: Man makes plans and G-d Laughs

No comments:

Post a Comment