Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Aren't I Supposed To Be Cured?

Cured

I felt okay at Silver Lake.
Maybe it was because I was
in bed a lot. Maybe it was
because I was a whole lot
stronger when I left than when
I came in. Maybe it was because I was on oxygen most of the time. Whatever the reason, I really felt like I was physically ready to leave. Of course believing that little fairy tale left me totally unprepared for the reality of the situation, which was that I was still really quite sick. The first few days in Chayie's house I was dizzy and trembling and constantly exhausted. What really knocked me out, however, was our first excursion to Dr. Katzenelenbogen. Poor Chayie had to let me out of the car right in front of the office and then look for a spot; I was too weak to walk more than a few yards. It's hard to describe how I felt. I remember thinking, "this is the sickest I've ever been". And that included all the stuff I had gone through since January! Shortness of breath is a difficult thing to live with to be sure, but this was worse. I was so shaky I thought I would pass out. I was so weak I didn't think I'd make it from the waiting room to the examination room. Chayie gave me a cup of water and kept asking me if I wanted more. Did I mention that my sister is a tzadeikes*? She was solicitous almost to a fault. Of course you realize that I usually (read: always) kibbitz with the girls in the office when I'm there. I walked right by them with my walker and didn't even crack a smile. I was soooooo sick. The doctor and I have that kind of relationship as well, and I think he was alarmed not only by my physical appearance, but also by my humorless attitude. Doctor K. (his name is 15 letters long; my fingers are getting tired!) took blood. Cutting to the chase, when the results came back they showed that I was extremely anemic. Get thee to a hemotologist, he said. I said I would.

*Tzadeikes=righteous woman

2 comments:

  1. thanx for the caption under the luncheon meat...would never have figured that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol great pictures. yup she's a really great lady!

    ReplyDelete