Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

...But I Digress

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the last post, "2,766 days", had absolutely nothing to do with my illness. Of course for someone to notice someone would have to be following this blog. And while there are a handful of you still with me, I believe interest has waned considerably. Not that I really blame anyone for falling by the wayside. After all, things were a lot more interesting when I was writing about comas and biopsies and bloodwork, oh my! I've been wondering for a while now what I'll write about when I finally run out of health-related issues. Will that make the blog more or less exciting? Indeed, is there anything intrinsically interesting about my daily existence? For me, the most remarkable thing about my life is that it ain't over. I try to remind myself every morning that after last February, everything is gravy. My life is more challenging than it had been in so many ways. I never, ever feel great. There are times I feel okay, but never great. Despite all the medications and doctor visits, I'm still out of breath with only the slightest exertion. Walking is unpredictable; sometimes I can walk for blocks with no problem and sometimes I'll walk to the corner and I'll be winded. I haven't had a real job since May of 2009. I'm collecting disability and so I'm still getting used to living on a fixed income. I'm learning to budget, something I've never bothered doing before. My relationship with G-d has changed, as has my relationship with my kids. In short, I'm a different person than I was a year ago. Hopefully a better person. When my therapist originally suggested that I keep a journal, I resisted. I was still in the throes of depression and was perfectly happy wallowing. The thought of blogging, however, appealed to me (being the shy, reserved type). And so "Air", A.K.A. "Oxygen Quest" was born. I've enjoyed it immensely, even with my mostly imaginary audience. I still have a lot of ideas for future posts (wait till you read about Freddie the Fire Truck!), and I still have things I want to cover about my suddenly decrepit body. But I do see the blog metamorphisizing into a more general venue for me to rant about things on my mind. If I start talking about Obama, watch out! This blog has afforded me a creative outlet that has kept me busy and hopefully might have actually entertained or, dare I say, enlightened a few people along the way. I know this sounds like a farewell post, but in fact the opposite is true. I'm gonna keep writing as long as I have something to say, whether or not it's germane to my pneumonia and its aftermath. And those of you who know me well know that hell will likely freeze over before I run out of things to say.

1 comment:

  1. hehehe this is a funny blog! good im glad its not over yet, keep'm coming!

    ReplyDelete